The Jama Masjid is a historical mosque that is located in the midst of Leh and is the biggest mosque of Ladakh. This was constructed in 1666-67 A.D. as per an agreement between the ruler of Ladakh Deldan Namgyal and the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb. Eventually a settlement was reached, wherein Mughals provided protection to Ladakhi kings in return for a fee, with the construction of Jama Masjid as its symbolic seal.
A glorious symbol of religious forbearance and magnanimity, Jama Masjid in Leh, along with the other mosques in a landscape replete with monasteries and Buddhist faith followers, blends in seamlessly with the spiritual and religious force field of Leh.
Located in the Main Bazaar of Leh, Jama Masjid today is open only to men. A beautiful, stately double domed structure, the original mosque was replaced with the present day, intricately carved structure few years back.